Energy Performance Certificates Residential & Commercial EPCs in Belfast, Northern Ireland

If you are selling or renting out your property either privately or through an agent, you must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for that property. We can provide an EPC produced by an accredited energy assessor.

For more information about EPCs, please select a category below:


Residential EPCs

Energy Performance Certificates (EPC), are a compulsory part of Home Information Packs (HIP), which has been in effect since 01/08/07 in England and Wales for domestic properties with 4 or more bedrooms, the scheme was extended to include 3 bedroom homes on the 10/09/07 and is required for all domestic properties as from the 14/12/07.

They are a result of European Union Directive 2002/91/EC relating to the energy performance of buildings. The directive itself was inspired by the Kyoto Protocol which commits the EU to reduce CO2 by 8% by 2010, to 5.2% below 1990 levels. The directive came into force on the 04/01/06 and requires member states to comply with Article 7 (EPCs), Article 8 (Inspection of boilers) and Article 9 (Inspection of air conditioning systems) within 3 years of the inception date, the deadline being 04/01/09. In the UK this directive was enacted in Part 5 of the Housing Act 2004.


The EPC is based on the RDSAPv3 procedure, which is a simplified version of the SAP2005. SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and RDSAP for Reduced Data SAP.

The EPC will be produced by Home Inspectors or Domestic Energy Assessors to be included as part of a Home Information Pack. It is thought that the information gathered on properties energy performance may be used to establish a form of 'Energy Taxation' in the future, meaning that properties with poor energy ratings are subject to higher taxes.

In addition to the requirements in relation to dwellings there is also a requirement for EPCs on the sale, rent or construction of buildings other than dwellings with a floor area greater than 500m2 from the 06/04/08.


What is an Energy Performance Certificate?

  • Energy Performance Certificates tell you how energy efficient a home is on a scale of A-G. The most efficient homes - which should have the lowest fuel bills - are in band A.
  • The Certificate also tells you, on a scale of A-G, about the impact the home has on the environment. Better-rated homes should have less impact through carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions.
  • The average property in the UK is in bands D-E for both ratings. The Certificate includes recommendations on ways to improve the home's energy efficiency to save you money and help the environment.

What's the process?

  • The first step is to measure the size of your property length, width and height. This will enable the RDSAP software to work out the volume of the property that the energy is used for. At this stage the age and construction will be noted as well as any tell tale signs of retro cavity filling. Then a head and shoulders inspection of the loft insulation is required.
  • An inspection of the boiler is next, making a note of the manufacturer, model number and type, also detailing the controls e.g. programmer, room stats and radiators. The number of habitable rooms will be counted with notes on double glazing and low energy lighting which will be recorded as a percentage of the total of windows and light fittings.
  • Further inspection of the gas and electric meters are required, also making a note of the radiators, lighting, glazing and any heating controls.
  • Any extensions or conservatories will be recorded separately.
  • Photographs will be taken of the boiler, meters and structure etc. This is obviously a shortened version of what needs to be done but at least it will give you an idea as to the process, the work really starts back at the office collating and preparing the information for your report

Commercial EPCs

Commercial Property Energy Performance Certificates are similar to their domestic counterparts, the energy certificate for commercial buildings will look the same and carry the same ratings as for domestic energy certificates. The DEC or Display Energy Certificate must be displayed in a public place.

The EU Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD) requires that from April 2008 any commercial property in the UK, which is within the limits described below will require an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) upon construction, or prior to sale or lease of the property.

From 1 October 2008 - EPCs required on the sale or rent of all remaining dwellings. EPCs required on the construction, sale or rent of all remaining buildings other than dwellings. Display certificates required for all public buildings in excess of 1,000 m2.

By 4 January 2009 - First inspection of all existing air-conditioning systems over 250 kW must have occurred by this date

By 4 January 2011 - First inspection of all remaining air-conditioning systems over 12 kW must have occurred by this date

Commercial EPCs

A system which is first put into service on or after 1 January 2008 must have a first inspection within 5 years of it first being put into service.

These dates and details may be subject to revision at any time. These dates represent the latest (Nov 2007) schedule released by CLG. Refer to EPC Timetable.

After these deadlines any commercial property which is placed on the property market for sale or rent in England and Wales requires an energy inspection by an Energy Assessor and an Energy Performance Certificate (Commercial EPC) obtained. Existing tenancies in place before the deadline are exempt, if they subsequently come on to the market for sale or lease after this time, then an energy inspection and certificate will be required.

EPC - Energy certificates rate the energy performance of a building.

DEC - Display Energy Certificates (DECs) show the actual energy usage of a building, and it's Operational Rating, and provide information to the public for the energy efficiency of a building. (For Public Buildings)


The legislation will affect Property owners of portfolios, and also affects landlords and property managers. Many buildings will be affected by the introduction of Commercial Energy Certificates these include:

  • EPC for Retail Units
  • EPC for Shops
  • EPC for Industrial Units
  • EPC for Hotels
  • EPC for New Build commercial units - SAP Assessors
  • EPC for Rental Property
  • EPC for Public Institutions
  • EPC for Government Buildings.

Exemptions to the requirement for a Commercial EPC, these exemptions include:

  • Places of Worship (e.g. churches)
  • Temporary Buildings In Use For Less Than 2 Years (Portable Buildings and Site Buildings)
  • Low Energy Demand Buildings (example Farms Outbuildings and Barns)

Stand Alone Buildings Less Than 50 sq m. (Small outbuildings like Sheds or Summer Houses)


Commercial property Energy Performance Certificates are valid for 10 years and must be made available to a prospective buyer or tenant before entering a contract for sale, or lease, and no later than the release of marketing materials for the property, or the request for a visit to the property being marketed for sale or lease.

The survey is carried out (In England & Wales) using Simplified Building Energy Method (SBEM) which is also used for part L of the Building Regulations. A number of energy assessment procedures may be employed dependent on the type of building and its use. Such methods include SAP, SBEM procedures.


Contact us

Please contact us to discuss arranging an EPC for your property.

Please check you have entered all details correctly: